Reports To: COO
Contact: email@example.com with resume and cover letter
Introduction to the Company and Role:
Collective Retreats is a new, meaningful way to travel. Our portfolio of destination retreats allows our guests to explore unique destinations without sacrificing any luxuries, and to leave feeling inspired and connected.
Collective Retreats is a venture-backed, fast growth hospitality company that concepts and operates asset-light, moveable hotels in premium, unique destinations. Each of our luxury retreats is designed to create amazing guest experiences, with an emphasis on thoughtful design, inspiring decor, once-in-a-lifetime food, curated local activities, and luxurious amenities. We’re changing the travel industry by giving guests authentic, local experiences paired with service and luxury that you would find in a 5-star hotel – something we’re able to achieve through our unique locations and structures.
We are seeking a Managing Director to oversee the day to day operations of our retreats, including owning the onsite guest experience, building and managing the retreat team, and managing against budget and site P&L. This person will work with the broader Collective Retreats team to grow our valued brand.
The ideal candidate is experienced in hospitality management and all aspects of running a boutique hotel, including: front desk, concierge, rooms department management, food & beverage program and department management, and hotel finance. This person is also highly organized and dependable, approachable, self-motivated, and passionate about travel and what we’re building.
- Day to day management of a boutique hotel of 30 – 50 rooms, including oversight over front desk, rooms management, activity partners (for concierge), food and beverage, housekeeping, and maintenance
- Deliver a safe, fully functioning and operational hotel 100% of the season
- Responsible for the entire onsite brand and guest experience and delivering exceptional levels of guest satisfaction, consistently
- Operate the retreat on budget, managing costs to hit profitability targets; and contribute to achieving topline revenue goals
- Build, train and manage a team of assistant general manager(s), experience managers, and chefs/prep cooks. Manage third party vendors, contractors and suppliers
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must have a passion for what we are building and the guest experience. This position is critical in delivering against our customer promise
- 10+ years previous experience in the luxury hotel industry with management positions and oversight over departments and teams. Background in rooms management is highly desirable
- Proven track record of delivering exceptional guest experiences and high satisfaction levels
- Demonstrated ability to grow, manage and develop teams and retain talent
- Willing to do “the heavy lifting” and handiwork as needed (basic repair and maintenance)
- Past experience in a new business or startup highly desired. Strong interest in building a company (including new processes and systems) from the ground up. Comfortable managing through ambiguity and working with limited information
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated with a proven ability to multi-task across multiple complex projects
- Approachable, presentable and professional
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Willingness to be based on property and to relocate to new property locations as the company grows
- Strong team player who is willing to go the extra mile to build the perfect locations for our guests in an adventurous outdoor setting
- Hard worker with a positive, can-do attitude. Flexible and willing to work long and sometimes erratic hours
- Willingness to travel or relocate with needs of the business
Requirements for Employment:
- Fluent in English
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree from a top tier university
- Prior experience in hotel management, camp/recreational management, and/or retail store management is required
Compensation & Perks:
- We offer a competitive compensation package, including the unique opportunity to earn options in the business over time
- Healthcare, including medical, dental and vision
- Friends and Family rate at all Collective Retreat locations and employee free and discounted nights