Reports To: People & Culture Manager
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter
Introduction to the Company and Role:
Collective Retreats is a new, meaningful way to travel. Our portfolio of destination retreats allows our guests to explore unique destinations without sacrificing any luxuries, and to leave feeling inspired and connected.
Collective Retreats is a venture-backed, fast growth hospitality company that concepts and operates asset-light, moveable hotels in premium, unique destinations. Each of our luxury retreats is designed to create amazing guest experiences, with an emphasis on thoughtful design, inspiring decor, once-in-a-lifetime food, curated local activities, and luxurious amenities. We’re changing the travel industry by giving guests authentic, local experiences paired with service and luxury that you would find in a 5-star hotel – something we’re able to achieve through our unique locations and structures.
We are seeking an experienced financial controller, to undertake all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures. Finance controller responsibilities will also include financial risk management.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical and experienced in bookkeeping, accounts payable / receivable, invoicing and payroll functions. S/he has excellent Excel skills and is comfortable creating and analyzing data files and pivot tables. S/he has excellent quantitative skills and is results oriented, highly organized and dependable, approachable, self-motivated, and passionate about the work. Ideally, s/he is also passionate about travel, experiences, and what we’re building. S/he will be expected to work directly with the existing team in order to successfully accomplish his/her work efficiently and effectively.
We are looking for an operator who is not afraid to a roll-up-his/her-sleeves and is focused on delivering measurable results. You should have direct, hands-on experience in accounting, payroll and other bookkeeping related functions. Like our team, you should be customer- and brand-focused and naturally curious about new ways to help grow our new business and make our systems more efficient over time.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Additional controller duties as necessary
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must have a passion for what we are building, the brand, and the guest experience
- Proven working experience as a Financial controller and 5+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Advanced degree in Accounting. CPA or CMA preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills. Significant experience with Excel, Quickbooks or other accounting software, and Google tools is mandatory
- Passion for numbers with strong analytical skills — at home among dashboards
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, strong and proven project management capabilities and ability to multi-task
- Highly organized and self-motivated with a proven ability to multi-task across multiple complex projects
- Past experience in a new business or startup is highly desired. Strong interest in building a company (including new processes and systems) from the ground up. Comfortable managing through ambiguity and working with limited data
- Able to work remotely when necessary and willingness to travel
- Hard-working team player with a positive, can-do attitude. Flexible and willing to work long and sometimes erratic hours
Requirements for Employment:
- Fluent in English
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Compensation & Perks:
- We offer a competitive compensation package, including the unique opportunity to earn options in the business over time
- Healthcare, including medical, dental and vision
- Friends and Family rate at all Collective Retreat locations and employee free and discounted nights